Record Keeper for the County
Tax deed sales, which are open to the public, are conducted by the Clerk of the Circuit Court on the front steps of the Historical Courthouse. The sales are held all during the year, but are always on Monday’s beginning at 11:00 a.m. Sale notifications are posted at the Courthouse, in the Sumter County Times, and on this website.
The Clerk of the Circuit Court accepts passport applications as an agent for the Passport Office of the United States Department of State. Once filed with the Clerk's Office, the applications are submitted to the U.S. Passport Agency.
The Clerk of the Circuit Court processes applications for marriage license, performs wedding ceremonies and records marriage license for permanent record.
The Florida Constitution provides for the Clerk to act as The Official Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners. It is the clerk’s duty to:
- Attend meetings of the Board of County Commissioners
- Produce, record, index, and distribute the official minutes of these meetings
- Maintain legal custody of the Official County Seal
- Maintain custody of all county resolutions, ordinances, and contracts
- Process appeals for the Value Adjustment Board
- Attest Board documents