When should I apply for a passport?
You should apply for a passport several months in advance of your planned departure.  If you will need visas from foreign embassies, allow more time and contact the foreign embassy of the country you are visiting for more information Return to Top
Do I need to apply in person for a U.S. Passport?
  • You must apply in person for a U. S. Passport if any of the following apply:

  • You are applying for the first time

  • Your previous passport was lost or stolen

  • Your previous passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago

Every applicant must appear in person.  Children 15 and under must appear with both parents.  Children 16 to 17 must appear with one parent.  The child MUST appear in person

Return to Top
How do I apply for a passport?

Complete the DS-11 application form.  Forms can be obtained online at www.travel.state.gov or from the Sumter County Clerk of Court Passport Department.  You should bring with you the following documentation:

 - Proof of U.S. Citizenship (one of the following)         

  • Previous U.S. Passport

  • Certified Birth Certificate, with parents’ names stated

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

  • Naturalization Certificate

  • Certification of Citizenship

(Previous U.S. Passport and Certified Birth Certificate are both required for minors.)

- Proof of Identity (one of the following)

  • Valid Driver’s License (Not a temporary or learner permit)

  • Government ID: City, State, or Federal

  • Military ID: military or dependents

  • Merchants Marines Card

- One Passport Photograph

Photo must be 2x2 inches in size, in color and taken within the past six months. Photograph should be taken in normal street attire, without hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.  Uniforms should not be worn, except for religious attire that is worn daily. We can provide the photo for $5.00

Return to Top
What if I need a passport in a hurry?
Passports can be expedited to get your passport back sooner, within 5 to 7 weeks.  If you need a passport sooner, you must make an appointment with the Miami Passport Agency Return to Top
How do I renew my passport?

You may renew a passport by mail if your most recent passport was issued within the past 15 years and you were over age 16 when it was issued.

Complete the DS-82 form available online at www.travel.state.gov or from the Sumter County Clerk of Court Passport Department.  This form is not to be submitted to the Clerk’s Office, but must be mailed to the address stated on the form along with the following required documentation attached.

  • Your most recent passport

  • One passport photograph

  • The appropriate fee $130.00

If your name has changed since your previous passport was issued, enclose an original certified copy of the court order, adoption decree, marriage certificate or divorce decree. If your names have changed by other means you must apply in person Return to Top
What is the difference between a passport book versus a passport card?
Both serve as proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity.  The U.S. passport book is used for travel by air, sea, and land.  The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel.  The U.S. passport card is a wallet size travel document used for entering the U.S. at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and The Caribbean.  The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.  Please visit www.travel.state.gov for fee information Return to Top
What else should I know about passports?

Before traveling abroad, make a copy of the identification page so it is easier to get a passport in case yours becomes lost or stolen.  It is also good to carry one extra passport-sized photo with you.

Some countries require that your passport be valid at least 6 months beyond the dates of your trip.  Check with the nearest embassy or consulate of the countries that you plan to visit to find out their entry requirements.

For more information on applying for a passport visit www.travel.state.gov or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 Return to Top